Tuesday 4 December 2012

Surf Camp w/c 12th Nov

Soooo people I know I have been soooo bad at updating my blog - this is because of 2 reasons really 1) I'm being tight and most of the time refuse to pay for the internet and 2) because I am having too much fun that sitting on a computer when I could be out exploring and in the sun kind takes second place!
However, I do need to update everyone soooo here goes...after my first week with Ultimate Oz I decided to do SURF CAMP!!! Let the story commence...

About 11 of us - Rosa, Laura, Sammy, James, Rich, Sam, Adam, Josh, Jan, Dan and I from the Ultimate Oz group decided to do Surf Camp the following week, this was in Gerroa which is about 2 hours down from Sydney on a beach called Seven Mile Beach (and do you know why its called Seven Mile Beach...yep well done you!!). Apparently its the best beach to learn on because of the waves, I think they are smaller and softer so make it easier for beginners (I'm sure there are more technical terms than 'smaller and softer' but you get my drift). The company I did it with was Surf Camp Australia and I would definitely recommend them. You stay in the camp for 4 nights in dorm rooms, all meals are provided and its like a little self contained community, where its about a 10 minute walk to the beach (or a 15 minute walk to the pub!) We did 8 lessons during our 5 days there and it is hard!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is safe to say my dreams of being a surfer chick didn't quite work out!!

I did manage to stand (just about) by the end of the week but f*ck me is it hard! Some of my group were made to surf and were riding green waves by the end (thats a step up from the white soft waves and basically when you get on a wave before it breaks). I fell / flew off my board quite a few times! On a number of occassions my surf board decided it wanted to try and knock me out and getting hit on the head with a surf board HURTS!!!!! I won't advise you try it....Even carrying the damn things from the lock up to the beach was a mission! My arms were not long enough nor were they made to be wrapped about a foam board - talk about discovering muscles I didn't know I had! The first few days (before we were shown how to paddle out behind the waves) we had to carry our boards out and that in itself is a tiresome task, especially when you are contending with large waves which like to suck you up and throw you back on the beach! On a few occassions I would be talking to the instructor and then I would disappear back to where I started with a little shriek! Haha it was good fun though! The few times I did manage to stand up it was an awesome feeling, I can see how people get addicted to it, however I don't think it will be a hobby I would continue with, my ballet feet caused me massive issues initially because you have to flex your back foot to stand, not point it...yeh my foot didn't like this...but we had words and it came round in the end!
On our last night everyone from Surf Camp, so around 80 of us went to the local and only 'pub' (it was like an old mans working club with a bowls lane in the middle!!) and then to the beach, good times!
All in all it was an awesome 2nd week, below are a few pictures from it.

Roomies

Surf Camp Surfers


James, Me, Sam & Rich - James is kindly demonstrating the arm position used when surfing

Bruised!!

No comments:

Post a Comment