Wednesday 23 January 2013

Byron Bay 13th - 19th December




View from coastal walk
Aw Byron Bay 'heart' - I'd heard a lot about this place before I went there and it did not disappoint. Its hard to say what it is exactly about Byron that makes its quite so appealing, but the best way I could describe it is probably that it is the perfect bubble. The beach-stunning as per, from what I'm told good waves for surfing, there is a real mixture of nightlife options and restaurants, the shops have a lot of very pretty things, its sunny, everyone is young and friendly and above all it just screams fun. I didn't want to leave here and I will definitely be heading back at some point, whether for a weekend or to stay for longer and try and work.

So I arrived a few days earlier than expected and couldn't extend my stay and stay in the hostel I had originally booked as they were fully booked, so I ended up at Aquarius for a few nights. For those of you that know me, you know that I believe everything happens for a reason and well quite frankly I am so glad I couldn't get my original hostel because I met some of the best people on my trip in Aquarius, that I'm still in contact with now. I also re-bumped into Holly, another girl I had met in Noosa and Ailsa, a Maggie Island girl I had met!

Ailsa, Jane and I at Cheeky Monkeys
In all honesty I didn't particularly do a lot in Byron, I just got sucked in by its awesomeness and resisted leaving until I had to. I spent a few afternoons on the beach, did the coastal walk to the lighthouse which wasn't meant to take 4 hours but did with me and the friend I did it with!! Whoops! Partied a fair bit and soaked up the atmosphere. I did a day trip to Nimbin which is basically this hippy druggy town where everyone is high or selling weed or cookies. If you're into drugs you'd probably love it but I'd rather have spent my time on the beach, still I was with Ailsa so we had a giggle if nothing else! We also stopped off at a waterfall on the way, which due to the lack of rain has ceased to be a waterfall and was basically just rocks! On my last night I saw the most immense electrical storm out at sea, beat the Bondi electrical storm hands down, I have never seen colours like it, really makes you realise how small you are in comparison to what else is out there in the rest of the world! Got to love Mother Nature...ut oh maybe Nimbin did affect me more than I thought?!

p.s. Stay at Aquarius if you go to Byron hot barmen and awesome people!


No comments:

Post a Comment